Thursday, October 8, 2015

Interview with Martina "Morty" Murer of The Silence Between Us

Melvi caught up with beautiful Martina "Morty" Murer of The Silence Between Us. She plays keyboard in this Venice based melodic deathcore band and they are going to release their debut EP this October 13.

Official band page - (https://www.facebook.com/tsbuband?ref=br_rs&pnref=lhc)

Melvi - What are you doing nowadays?
Morty - I'm studying to become a graphic designer, so I'm focusing both on music and school.

Melvi - Can i get the story of your band and biography? What is the meaning of
The Silence Between Us exactly means to the band?
Morty - Our name represents the silence between human beings and the constant affliction caused by their unsuccessfull lives.

Melvi - What are the lyrical themes you use in your song? gore, horror,
politics, anti religion etc..
Morty - We write introspective lyrics in view of the things around us, in fact our main themes are emotions and fears, we talk about ourselves though our music, and that's really important to me because I feel like I can get rid of all my negative thoughts putting them in every note I play.

Melvi - How it feels to be in a metal band esp. when its a male dominant place?
And for how many years you are in this scene?
Morty - That's an interesting question. I've never liked playing with other people, but meeting Salvatore, and then the other members, has probably been the best thing of my whole life, because they aren't only "my band", they're my family. They're amazing friends and very talented musicians, they're teaching lots of things and they're helping me growing up, both as a keyboard player and a person. Being a girl never bothered me that much, and luckily I've never had bad experiences. Sometimes I feel like people treat me differently just because of it, but most of the times they're simply more nice or polite because they see me as a quiet person and they don't want to annoy or scare me. I started listening to metal when I was about 10 years old, and it has influenced me a lot, even though I mostly listen to other musical genres such as jazz, post-rock and avant-garde/experimental stuff.

Melvi - Which are the bands that have influenced your band most?
Morty - I think Betraying the martyrs, Make them suffer, Carnifex and In Flames are our main influences, but we always try to keep our style anyway, we are The Silence Between Us, and we want to sound only like The Silence Between Us.

Me

Melvi - What are the future plans of TSBU? any tours, releases, recordings etc.
Morty - Our EP will be out the 13th October, and we'll surely play in some gigs in our area with other bands, we'll keep you updated!

Melvi - What is your opinion on sites posting band's Materials without asking
bands?
Morty - Posting any kind of material online without permission is bad, it should be considered a crime, so... ASK before posting, most of the times bands will give you a positive reply!

Melvi - How do you feel about the classifications in metal? like deathcore,
metalcore and other sub genres..
Morty - Classifications in music are ok, but sometimes close minded people use them to bash bands and artists. If you don't like a certain genre, it doesn't mean it sucks, maybe it just isn't meant for you.


Melvi - In general term metal isn't appreciated by Society what do you have to
say on this?
Morty - That's sad but true. When I was younger I had to deal with lots of ignorant people making fun of me, and sometimes saying really bad things just because I used to wear dark clothes and hang out with metalheads. They began labeling me as a weird girl and a volountary outcast. Growing up I became less shy and weak and I started fighting the bullies, nowadays everything's fine and I have lots of amazing friends. Society will surely judge you if you're into metal, but you can be strong enough to beat any prejudice.

Melvi - Ok, what do you want to tell those peoples who rips off the band hard
work and illegally downloads their music or pirates their cds/merchs and
sells them?
Morty - It's an horrible thing to do. As a person who owns a huge collection of cds and merch, I always support my favourite artists because they deserve it. Some people have no idea of how much work there's behind a song, and if they do and still keep stealing music they're just heartless and I have no respect for them.

Melvi - Is it hard surviving in metal Scene?
Morty - It's really hard since there are plenty of amazing bands around... If you want to become important and "known" in the scene you need to practice a lot to improve, it's hard to survive, and sinking is very easy.

Melvi - Metal has to be underground or metal has to go mainstream, what's your
opinion?
Morty - I don't care if something's mainstream or underground, as long as I like it I'll listen to it!

Melvi - What is your opinion on the current state of metal?
Morty - There are way too many things to say about it... It's an amazing genre, sadly ruined by its own listeners.

Melvi - Which is the album you want to take to your grave?
Morty - Difficult question: I'd say "March of Ghosts" by Gazpacho or "Harmlessness" by The World Is A Beautiful Place And I'm No Longer Afraid To Die.

Melvi - Can you recommend us some good bands from your country for our
readers?
Morty - Sure! I recommend you to give a listen to Forgotten Tears, Despite Exile, Novembre, The Foreshadowing, Helslave and Breath To Die. If you like folk and power, you'll surely also like Kanseil, Elvenking, Rhapsody Of Fire, Spellblast and Vexillum.

Melvi - Support Metal, how much you agree on this quote?
Morty - On a scale from 1 to 10? 100000!

Melvi - Where do our readers can buy and listen TSBU and any other merchs?
Morty - YouTube, Spotify, and Bandcamp.


Melvi - Do you remember your first show with TSBU, How was it and how did the
crowd reacted to your first show?
Morty - Actually, I haven't played with TSBU yet, since I have been in the band only for a few month.

Melvi - Do you have any plans to come to Nepal in coming days?
Morty - That would be great, if we'll ever get the chance we'll surely do it.

Melvi - What do you hate in metal community?like, anything..
Morty - I hate how, especially young people, tend to call each others "posers" and say rude things about people with different tastes in music. I also hate how metalheads are often starting fights about which subgenre or band is better, I find it quite immature and useless.

Melvi - Your dream metal fest line up.
Morty - Pain Of Salvation, Mr. Bungle, Caligula's Horse, Corelia, Leprous, Opeth, Katatonia, Liquid Tension Experiment and Anathema!

Melvi - Quick top 5 albums we must have in our collection.
Morty - Difficult one. I haven't got a top 5, nobody should have one... Just keep discovering, the more you know, the further you'll go!


And we are taking submission to publish from this blog. So send us your band biography, modeling profile, photography works, articles, poems etc. at railahsiv@gmail.com


No comments:

Post a Comment